What’s better than a burger? A fried chicken burger! Perfect for Spring entertaining.
* 600g Lilydale Free Range Chicken Breast, halved horizontally
* 1 ½ cups plain flour
* 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
* 1 tbsp ground black pepper
* ½ tsp sea salt
* 1 cup (250mL) buttermilk
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* ⅓ cup whole egg mayonnaise
* 1 tsp tabasco sauce
* ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 long green chilli, seeded, thinly sliced
* ¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
* ¼ green cabbage, finely shredded
* 1 small carrot, coarsely grated
* Juice and zest of 1 lime
* Vegetable oil or canola oil, for deep frying
* 4 brioche rolls, split
* 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated
* 4 dill pickles, thinly sliced
4 Method / Steps
Whisk flour, Cajun seasoning, pepper and salt in a shallow bowl. Combine buttermilk and eggs in another shallow bowl. Working with 1 piece at a time, coat chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl. Coat again in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Set aside on a plate lined with baking paper.
Combine garlic, mayonnaise and tabasco in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine onion, chilli, cabbage, carrot, lime juice and zest.
Pour oil into a large heavy frying pan to a depth of 1 ½cm. Heat over medium heat until oil is hot (test with a small piece of bread – when the bread bubbles and turns golden brown the oil is ready). Fry the chicken, in batches, until golden brown and cooked through, about 4–5 minutes per side. Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking tray; season lightly with extra salt.
Spread rolls with spicy mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, pickles, cabbage slaw and chicken. Serve with shoestring fries.
source – cooking365coza