Deregistered Bulawayo lawyer Sindiso Mazibisa yesterday said he will focus on new opportunities after he was banned from practising law in Zimbabwe by a legal tribunal last Friday.
Mazibisa was a senior partner at Cheda and Partners law firm before it was shut down in April last year following the misuse of funds the law firm was holding in trust.
In one case, the law firm failed to account for $335 000 which businessman Mr Titus Ncube deposited with the law company in March 2013.
When The Chronicle first broke cases of the alleged fraudulent activities at the law firm in 2015, Mazibisa rushed to file a lawsuit against the newspaper.
Mazibisa yesterday took to Facebook to confirm his banishment from the legal profession.
Efforts to get a comment from him were futile as his mobile phone went unanswered.
“I can now comment publicly as reported by The Chronicle. On Friday September 30, 2016, I was de-registered as a practising lawyer.
“Owing to the toxic manner in which allegations and accusations were laid against me and my practice, I had to do the most prudent thing, not contest the de-registration and this followed my voluntary surrender of the practising certificate and closure of Cheda and Partners,” he wrote on Facebook.
I am happy now and excited because the ordeal for me, family and loved ones is over . . . I can focus on my life and new opportunities.”
Mazibisa said the de-registration by the Law Society of Zimbabwe, which is a voluntary organisation, does not take away his law degree which he will continue using as a consultant and legal advisor.
“I hope peacefully I can be allowed to pursue my other businesses and interests. To family and friends who have stood by me thank you and God bless . . . so much of #frontpagenews #rehabilitation time”.
While Mazibisa said he can now focus on his life and new opportunities, it would be difficult for some of the people who lost their monies to Cheda and partners to pick up the pieces.
Mazibisa has been taken to court before after failing to account for money held in trust.
In April this year, a High Court judge, Justice Martin Makonese, ordered the disgraced lawyer to pay back a 64-year-old Kezi woman $40 000 which he embezzled three years ago.
The money, which Mazibisa failed to deliver, was part of Patricia Wonyana’s share from her late son’s estate.
Wonyana, whose son died in South Africa three years ago, approached Mazibisa to assist her with the legal processes to get the money from an estate executor in the neighbouring country.
Mazibisa was paid, but did not give Wonyana her share, forcing her to approach the courts.